Sometimes you just gotta turn into a car and take off.
FoC picks up where Transformers: War For Cybertron left off – the Autobots and Decepticons are still embroiled in a bitter war but now that the planet is nearly depleted of resources, the Autobots decide to leave and begin life on a new planet in order to keep the Transformer race alive. Of course, the Decepticons are preventing this every step of the way with their purpose being “join us or die.”
The storyline is just as engaging as the gameplay itself. I giggled with glee when I first heard Peter Cullen speak as Optimus Prime and then we went straight into battle. I found myself emotionally invested in the well being of the Autobots and looked forward to the defeat of the Decepticons and especially now where some studios are killing single-player games altogether, it’s important that these campaigns continue to exist and delight.
Being able to play as Grimlock was super fun, too, once I remembered the controls were just a wee bit different. SUPER fun destroying stuff as a dinobot…it was dopasaurus rex.
I have no real complaints with the campaign other than a little reminder every now and then of how to destroy certain Decepticons would be cool, more time controlling Metroplex woulda been SWEET!
I LOVE METROPLEX!
I’ve played the multi-player on several different occasions and have zero complaints. Being able to design your own transformer to bring into MP battle AND transforming into the chosen vehicle in order to outrun (or run over) your enemies during CTF matches was always the highlight of when I would play with colleagues.
There were a couple glitch issues where I froze up in chapters BUT luckily the game picked up right where I left off once I restarted.
- Controls: 9.0 Easy to pick up and fun to master
- Visuals: 9.0 Stunning and crisp. REALLY, REALLY beautiful. With so much to to look at, at times you fight the urge to hand the controller to someone else so that you can just watch and appreciate what went into making this game. The sheer size and scope of Metroplex made me say “Damn, Gina!” at least six times.
- Sound: 9.0 Hearing all the voice talent combined with a killer score and amazing sound effects (especially in scenes like when OP is controlling Metroplex and the final battle) makes me wish I owned a giant tv with surround sound system
- Gameplay: 9.0 Easy to jump in and story line keeps you hooked and satisfied. Even the young Transformers fan will have a good time.
- Replay Value: 8.0 Once you complete single-player (there’s 13 chapters), you probably won’t play it again BUT I admit I’ve gone back and played certain chapters in order to try to grab achievements I’ve missed or just wanted to see again (see Metroplex). Multi-player is gonna be the preferred flavor after the campaign is completed.
- Online Factor: 8.0 Super fun that even your newbiest of gamer friends can pick up and enjoy.
- Overall: 8.5 A great way for ANY Transformers fan to spend the evening.
The final battle is pretty sweet but I’m not gonna tell you anything about it because I really think you should pick up the game yourself and experience the fun (as any good Transformers fan should)!
I know there’s haters on this game but I really enjoyed myself more than I have with a game in quite a while; I think you will, too.
Fred Tatasciore, Greg Berger, Grimlock, Isaac Singleton, Nolan North, Optimus Prime, Peter Cullen, Steve Blum, Transformers: Fall of Cybertron, Troy Baker