Halo fans got a real treat today as Microsoft unleashed a TON of new info surrounding the game. Let’s begin!
From the press release: “Set almost five years after the events of “Halo 3,” “Halo 4” takes the series in a bold new direction and sets the stage for an epic new sci-fi saga, in which the Master Chief returns to confront his destiny and face an ancient evil that threatens the fate of the entire universe.”
Have Master Chief and Cortana been floating in space for that long? Cortana did warn him it could be years before they’re found. If so, where did the Chief get that jet pack all of a sudden? And the grenade launcher gun thingy? (I’m sure that’s the official name, lol)
Fear not, for there will be back story abound in…
Coming this October to Machinima’s YouTube Channel and Halo Waypoint! Introducing Halo: Forward Unto Dawn. a 5-part live-action web series that tells the story of a young cadet at the beginning of the Human/Covenant War and how inspiration from Master Chief propels him through an adventure toward greatness.
The Special Edition of Halo: Foward Unto Dawn, including exclusive fiction, behind the scenes and bonus content will be available with the The “Halo 4” Limited Edition.
The main character in the web series will end up leading on the UNSC’s greatest vessel called…
This ship will serve as the hub of all your Halo 4 adventures. As a Spartan IV (Master Chief is a Spartan II), you will find yourself aboard the largest ship in UNSC’s fleet. Here you’ll be able to fully customize your character and enter multiplayer modes. Here’s the really cool part -your progress and game choices affect your appearance, arsenal, and role on the battlefield.
What does a Spartan VI look like? Here you go:
The UNSC Infinity not only serves as a “home base” of sorts, where you’re surrounded by the sights and sounds of a busy ship, but its story intersects with a whole new story separate form the campaign called…
Even after the events of Halo 4, your adventure isn’t over! 343 is providing a second campaign at no extra charge. Here’s how it works, per the press release:
“Through a weekly series of cinematic episodes on Xbox LIVE, Spartan Ops will tell the continuing story of the UNSC Infinity, following the events of “Halo 4.” These episodes will centre on the UNSC Infinity leaders and crew, and a new team of Spartans – Majestic Squad. These cinematic episodes will provide the backdrop for the weekly Spartan Ops gameplay missions. Playable in single-player or cooperatively (with up to three friends), explore the corners of Requiem in these objective-based missions, and help uncover the secrets of the mysterious Forerunner world.”
Although details will be released later, we know that it will be launched from aboard the UNSC Infinity and that is “all new” – combining elements of classic Halo beat-down with new elements, like armor modification that you can tailor to your fighting style, whoop whoop.
Players can earn and activate combat enhancements called “Specialisations” based on the style of play they engage in, from stealth to all-out assault, and everything in between.
This is currently priced at £69.99 and includes (per a VERY British press release):
· War Games Map Pack Access – The Limited Edition includes access to nine maps – three future competitive multiplayer map packs, each including three locations, available for download post-launch on Xbox LIVE.
(A detailed release schedule for the map packs will be announced at a later time)
· Specializations – Receive early access to six Specialisations, available at launch on Xbox LIVE, to achieve higher ranks in your Spartan career. In addition to gaining access to new ranks, Specialisations unlock new customisation options. Purchasers of the “Halo 4” Limited Edition will get access on launch day, while others will have to wait as Specialisations are released over time.
· The Limited Edition also contains the UNSC Infinity Briefing Packet, which includes an armour customisation schematic, a blueprint of the massive ship itself, and insight into what it means to be one of humanity’s finest warriors: the Spartan-IVs.
· Bonus digital content through Xbox LIVE:
o Unique in-game Spartan-IV armour skin
o Unique in-game weapon skin for the Assault Rifle
o An exclusive in-game emblem
o Xbox LIVE Avatar prop
o Xbox LIVE Avatar Spartan-IV armour set
· “Halo 4: Forward Unto Dawn” Special Edition – An extended 90-minute version of the live-action digital series that will bring the Halo universe to life as you’ve never seen it, and provide an enthralling backstory leading up to the events of Halo 4.
—> Bonus in-fiction content expanding the characters and stories of “Halo 4: Forward Unto Dawn”
—> Special Featurette : Bringing Gaming into Reality
—> Making of “Halo 4: Forward Unto Dawn”
343 Industries, Cortana, Forerunners, Forward Unto Dawn, Halo 4, Limited Edition, Master Chief, Microsoft, Spartan Ops, behind the scenes, bonus content, info, making of, multiplayer, preview, reveal, screenshots, story, web series